Friday, February 3, 2012

Porgy and Bess on Broadway


Tonight I saw The Gershwins' Porgy and Bess at the Richard Rodgers Theatre.  (I posted on it earlier. See this link http://nycurbanlife.blogspot.com/2012/01/porgy-and-bess.html)

Its going to be hard to give this show justice in words....I'm not sure what the reviewers watched, but I LOVED it. And I don't LOVE shows very often; I am discerning after many years working on Broadway.

Audra McDonald was the talent you expect - a huge range of emotion and a powerful voice to back that up. And Norm Lewis....was...amazing, and that's a weak word, but I just can't think of anything more superlative right now. I would imagine that he'd need a massage after every performance, probably aching from how he contorts his body to portray crippled Porgy. I'd volunteer for that task.

After the show we (Spence-Chapin Adoption Services) were treated to a cast talk-back and were honored with Audra McDonald, Norm Lewis, Trevon Davis, JD Webster and Roosevelt Credit.

I would gladly buy another ticket to see it again, and probably will.
Norm Lewis, Audra McDonald
Trevon Davis, J.D.Webster
Norm Lewis

3 comments:

  1. Wow...didn't recognize Norm Lewis! I remember seeing him in "Miss Saigon" when I worked at The Broadway theater...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's natural gray in his beard...he looks good.

      Delete
  2. Invest in Ripple on eToro the World's #1 Social Trading Network...

    Join millions who have already discovered better methods for investing in Ripple.

    Learn from profitable eToro traders or copy their positions automatically

    ReplyDelete