Thursday, October 6, 2011

Steve Jobs, 1955 - 2011



 

I've never bought any other computer but a Mac. And never will. 

My first exposure to a Macintosh came in 1988. My boyfriend's dad was an engineer and had all things current in computers in the house. He worked on an MacII but in the attic was a MacPlus. Super cool.




In or around 1991 I bought a Classic and kept it 'til 1998 when I gave it away to a struggling, young writer. It was little more than a doorstop at that time, but she loved it. During those years I owned a PowerPC - boring design - but at work (Disney) had a PowerBookDuo that fit into a Duo Dock - lots of fun if not heavy for travel.

When I left LA and moved to New York I got rid of the PowerPc and opted for something smaller. I bought an iBook. That was a good machine. It went through trails with my toddlers though - my son picked off all the keys one evening when I left him unsupervised. Served me right. Thankfully a new keyboard was easy to install on my own. 


In the subsequent years there was a quick pace of Macs coming into the house. A space-age white eMac for the children - their learning curve on that was so quick that they soon inherited my polycarbonate iMac, which is still going strong for them. I graduated to an aluminum iMac with a lovely large screen.






Of course we have iPods, iPodMinis, iPod Shuffles, iPod Touches, iPhones, and for my birthday last year I was presented with the first generation iPad (3G/Wifi). We all love that one so much there are time limits on how long any one family member can be on it. 




So, I have drunken the cool-aid and will forever spout the gospel of Apple. I have dutifully indoctrinated the next generation of Mac lovers, and I am glad to have done so.

I am sad Steve Jobs is gone.




No comments:

Post a Comment